Serves 4 (prep time 25 mins not including soak/chill times)
- ~1/4 small watermelon (300 mL juice)
- 12 g powdered gelatin
- 1 c water
- 60 g sugar
Red, orange, yellow... bell pepper 1/2 c (40 g)
2 tsp honey
- Dice the peppers into 4-5 mm squares and mix in the honey. Let sit for at least one hour.
- In a small pot, add the gelatin and water and let soak for 15 mins.
- Remove watermelon flesh with a spoon and mix lightly with a mixer (blender might be better) to break it up, and remove seeds.
** we used a fine grater used for grating daikon or ginger to liquefy the watermelon
- Put the pot from 2 on medium heat and mix slowly. When it comes to a boil, add sugar and let dissolve. Let cool a bit. Put the pot in an ice bath and add the juice from 3 and mix until smooth
- Pour into glasses and chill for one hour. Once solidified, garnish with peppers from 1 to taste.
Can't really comment on the taste because the jelly is still chilling. I tried one after ~30-40 mins, but it was much too warm still. Will update tomorrow once the thing has had a chance to mellow out.
Tried 6 g of agar-agar with horrendous results. (Much too thick and ended up diluting with at least 1 c more water when dissolving). Will try 2 g agar-agar next time and see how that goes instead. While I also have pectin, I'm not sure how it would do for this sort of item. :?
As I wasn't keen on the idea of using peppers, I decided to dice up some fruit instead and used apricot, peach (sour!), and persimmon. Be careful with the amount of honey unless you really like honey.
We have lots of agar-agar here, so I'm thinking about trying canteloupe or canary melon instead next time, although watermelon has a definite "summer" flavour. ^_^
The soy milk drinks sound interesting. There's a banana cocoa, spice tea, and matcha flavoured drink. I'm thinking about making the matcha soy milk which takes:
200 mL soy milk
1 tsp matcha
1 tbsp honey
Mix matcha with honey in cup then add soy milk. (Can't get any easier than that! :P)
That one sounds good for when I get some matcha. ^_^ Of course, if you have an Asian market, you can also get green tea drinks or sweetened matcha drink mix. ^___^
The spice tea is:
200 mL soy milk
1 black tea tea bag
50 mL boiling water
1 cinnamon stick
1 ea cardamom pod, clove
3 slices ginger
- In a small pot, add boiling water and tea bag and make tea.
- Add soy milk, cinnamon stick, crushed cardamom, and clove, and put on low heat. Remove from heat just before boiling and add ginger and return to heat. Remove from heat before it's about to boil over. Strain into a cup/mug and add honey to taste.
The other thing I'm currently eyeballing is a summer orange jelly. It takes:
- 4 g powdered agar-agar
- 1 c water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 c carbonated water
- 2 summer oranges
- 3 c carbonated water
Basically you make carbonated water jelly using all but the last two ingredients the night before (boil agar-agar with water until agar-agar dissolves, add sugar. Let cool a bit then slowly add carbonated water. Pour into mold and let sit until solid. Chill overnight). Then cut the jelly into bite-size (1 cm) cubes. Add to the remaining carbonated water in a pitcher along with peeled and skinned orange segments. Garnish with mint if desired.
It's way too hot and humid here today. I'm going to hide away until things cool down a bit. -_-;;