Hmm... this episode's mostly in order but there's some weirdness here and there compared to the novel. Part of me wishes we could have had the scene between Kouyuu and Shuurei as it was written, but... ^^;; We got the equivalent later in the archives. The only thing is, in the novel, that scene was before Eigetsu and Shuurei started on their 2 month temporary stint, whereas in the anime it's after some time. It makes sense in that Shuurei spoke to Kou Kijin as she did but... *sigh* Some interesting differences between the novel and the anime:
- The ceremony for successful examinees has the examinees out in the central courtyard while the officials are in the hall watching. There's no chance for Shuurei to see Reishin with the other senior secretaries therefore (although she didn't seem to notice him in the anime).
- rather than fighting the urge to kick Ryuuren, Shuurei fought the urge to put poisonous mushrooms into the stew pot. ^^;; Shuurei was making pork dumplings at the time as she relates the story to Eigetsu and Seiran and the dumpling wrappings become wonderfully thin from her pounding them out. Shuuei hears the last of her fighting back the urge to poison his younger brother... ^^;;
- During dinner, Shuuei comments that Kouyuu's superior had been summoned by the Emperor and notices Kouyuu's in a bad mood and he realises that not only did Ryuuki not say anything to Kouyuu, but Reishin too didn't say anything. Annoyed, Kouyuu threatens to sew Shuuei's mouth shut and tells Shuurei to bring him some needle and thread. ^^;;
- After dinner with Kouyuu and Shuuei, Kouyuu speaks to Shuurei outside about her uniform. Apparently those in charge of the uniforms hadn't expected a female to pass and therefore the design for the clothes hadn't been created yet but Kouyuu expects it should be ready by the time she's given her official assignment. While outside, Shuurei looks at a plum sapling that's blooming and starts to tear up. Kouyuu shoves his handkerchief on her and tells her to take care of the dirt that's gotten into her eyes as much as she needs. ^^;; When asked what Kouyuu's wish was when he'd taken the exams, he says that it was to be by a certain someone's side and to help that person. Shuurei asks Kouyuu who her sponsor had been, but Kouyuu tells her that that person
- missing the scene between Reishin and Ryuuki. Ryuuki mentions that in unusual years that a training period is used before assigning the new trainees to their posts. Reishin acknowledges that and admits that the same happened in his year as well. During their talk, Reishin comments that once he's taken Ryuuki's measure as Emperor he fully intends to return to Kou Province and sequester himself there, but Ryuuki denies that saying that as long as Shouka and Kouyuu were in the capital, Reishin would also stay and ensure that nothing happened to them. Ryuuki asks if Reishin regrets sending Kouyuu to be assigned to Ryuuki but Reishin doesn't have the word "regret" in his vocabulary. Instead he tells Ryuuki that if Ryuuki should cause Kouyuu regret, then Reishin would have his head. Ryuuki accepts that.
- Ryuuki meets Shuurei, Eigetsu and Seiran at the gates surprising the three of them.
S: "Just why are you here?!"
E: "Shuurei-san, you're talking to the Emperor"
R: "It's all right Eigetsu. I'm happy with this."
S: "Why don't you go drown yourself in that lake there?"
R: "I'm doing all I can... Maybe I should send you a second love (straw) voodoo doll."
S: "If you do, just send straw. I can use it to make natto".
- When talking to Kijin about Shuurei being assigned to cleaning the lavatories and Eigetsu polishing shoes, Yuuri wonders why Kijin and Reishin haven't done anything to remove Rou Kanri from the courts. Yuuri then asks Kijin what he'd been assigned seeing as he'd gone through the training period in his year as well. Apparently Kijin was assigned to washing dishes in the kitchens while Reishin was assigned to helping out in the stables. ^^;;
Next episode... seems like it's going to focus on Kouyuu but... the description on NHKs site suggests that they might go about the story in a related but different fashion to the novels. (Like ep 4, 5 in story 1).
Whether it's cleaning the toilets or polishing shoes, I'll do whatever I have to. I'll never be beaten because of harassment. Hm? Kouyuu-sama, you seem a bit down...
Training of the new officials continues. Shuurei's uncle and sponsor, Kou Reishin, is unhappy seeing Shuurei being treated so harshly. And so he petitions Saiunkoku's emperor Ryuuki to protect Shuurei. Kouyuu's attitude towards Shuurei seems unusual Reishin watches/question Kouyuu closely and Kouyuu wonders if Reishin really loves him or not.
I wonder if we'll see Seiran's side as well?? Shouka papa's really something. ^___^ I know I thought that we'd cut for the hiatus at the end of story 3 but... I wonder if 2 eps is enough to finish this storyline?? I don't think it really is, but maybe I'm wrong? >_<;