The Omnivore's Hundred is a list of foods the gastronome Andrew Wheeler thinks everyone should try at least once in their lives.
The rules of the meme:
Bold those you have tried.
Strikethrough those you wouldn't eat on a bet.
Italicize any item you'll never eat again.
Asterisk any items you'd be interested in trying but have not yet.
Under line anything you don't know what it is.
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos Rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile* - I've had alligator, but I don't think I've had crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp? I don't remember the name of all the types of fish I've eaten. ^^
10. Baba ghanoush
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo ghobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
17. Black truffle - almost forgot that we bought this once. ^^;
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - various fruits, most notably blueberry and ume (plum)
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream ?? not sure
21. Heirloom tomatoes * I'll have to remember to buy some next time I find them
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche* Curious about this one ever since learning how it's made
28. Oysters Yum!
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas meh
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar - actually, I don't know if I've drunk cognac...?
37. Clotted cream tea From the description, it sounds like I have. ^^;
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
41. Curried goat - I've had *goat* but I don't think I've had it curried.
42. Whole insects
44. Goat’s milk I'm pretty sure we tried this but failed miserably
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu ohhhhh yeah. Yum!
47. Chicken tikka masala
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - vastly overrated. They didn't have a chance here with that quality. >.>
50. Sea urchin YUM!
51. Prickly pear *
52. Umeboshi More yum!
53. Abalone - had so much one summer that I started seriously hating it
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal ......in three countries...?
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ? which beers are above 8%?
59. Poutine - I lived in Montreal for four years. 'nuff said. :P
60. Carob chips - not as good as choco that's for sure.
61. S’mores - first time I had them was at winter camp; I melted my mitts. ^^;
63. Kaolin - clay?? aluminum silicate... no idea.
65. Durian - on the streets of Vancouver's Chinatown thanks to my friend's mom. ^^;
66. Frogs’ legs - ugh!
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - yum!
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
72. Caviar and blini - in a Russian restaurant at that
73. Louche absinthe *
74. Gjetost, or brunost
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - I didn't even know they existed.
78. Snail - please, escargot.
79. Lapsang souchong not one I generally care for
81. Tom yum ??? not sure...
82. Eggs Benedict
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare - rabbit sure, but I don't think I've had hare
88. Flowers - a few different varieties
89. Horse - ......horse testes sashimi style IIRC
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam - sadly, this is part of the cuisine for Okinawa. >.>
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish ? I think so, but I could be wrong.
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee - overrated IMO
100. Snake Yum ^^;
For those who are curious about trying this but aren't sure what some of these things are, a number of them are listed at the original list's site.
Otherwise, received a bunch of books from Amazon earlier this week. I managed to finish reading the Vampire Knight novel today. There are two stories in the book: one about Aido and a girl named Kisaragi Fuuka, which takes place one year before Yuuki and Zero enter high school and become guardians. The second story is from when Zero's around 11 and is training with Kaito under Yagari. Kaito's master was hurt on a hunt, so Yagari's seeing to Kaito's training while Kaito's master recovers.
Also in the order was manga vols 1 & 2 of Shiki - the horror novel by Ono Fuyumi (author of Ghost Hunt) that I've been trying to read for I don't know how many years now. It looks like I'm going to have a worse time trying to read the manga. The art simply doesn't appeal to me and is turning me off of reading it. I might have to bite the bullet and sit down with the novels again. The good thing is that I've also bought the paperback version of the novel, and they have more furigana compared to the hardcover release. >.>
And I have no idea where today went other than disappearing into a fog what with the Harvest Sale. I got zero accomplished today. >.>